Brazilian Basketball Star Iziane to Miss Olympics
    2012-07-21 10:35:33     Xinhua      Web Editor: haipeng
Iziane Castro Marques, a mainstay of the Brazilian basketball team, was cut from the Olympic squad on Friday for disciplinary reasons just eight days before the tournament.

Iziane Castro Marques, a mainstay of the Brazilian basketball team, was cut from the Olympic squad on Friday for disciplinary reasons just eight days before the tournament.

Marques, a starting small forward on the Atlanta Dream of the WNBA, allegedly broke rules by taking her boyfriend back to the hotel in the French city of Lille, where Brazil is competing in a pre-Games warm-up tournament.

Brazil's delegation chief Hortencia Marcari did not confirm nor deny the allegations but said the decision to cut Marques was final.

"I'm not going to say what the reason was. The team has rules and they were broken," Marcari noted.

Earlier, Brazil's basketball confederation (CBB) released a statement saying the 30-year-old had been released from the squad for disciplinary reasons.

"Because of an act of indiscipline off the court, she was omitted by the head of the delegation, Hortencia Marcari, who made the decision together with the technical committee," the statement said.

Brazil will be forced to enter the Olympic tournament with 11 players due to rules which prohibit replacements that are not injury-related.

Share

                  


CRIENGLISH.com claims the copyright of all material and information produced originally by our staff. All rights reserved. Reproduction of text for non-commercial purposes only is permitted provided that both the source and author are acknowledged and a notifying email is sent to us.

CRIENGLISH.com holds neither liability nor responsibility for materials attributed to any other source. Such information is provided as reportage and dissemination of information but does not necessarily reflect the opinion of or endorsement by CRI.

 
Sports Blogs
RUFF 12 Delivers, Championship Format Expected
A weekend of amazing fights graced the Hongkou Indoor Stadium as part of RUFF 12 as China's young stars proved their worth. Plus RUFF reveals an imminent move towards a championship format.
Audio Reports
China
Ding Junhui Out of World Snooker Championship
Ding Junhui of China lost 9-10 during his Round 1 match against English Michael Wasley on Day 3 of World Snooker Championship at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffeild, Britain, April 21, 2014.
Stars
Hamilton Celebrates after Qualifying Session at F1 Chinese Grand Prix
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton overcame the rain-soaked Shanghai International Circuit to top Saturday's grid race ahead of Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo, who was followed by teammate and four-time defending champion Sebastian Vettel in the F1 Chinese Grand Prix.
• China
China News
Chinese Press
Diplomatic
Society
Gallery
• World
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Americas
Middle East
Africa
• Video
Traveller
Culture Heritage
Beyond Stardom
Dynamic China

Life 360
Panoramic Sports
• Radio
Highlights
Livecast
Ways to Listen
• Business
Audio
Markets
Editor's Choice
Biz Photo
Special Coverage
• Travel
Destinations
Editor's Pick
What's in
On the Road
• Showbiz
Chinese Films
Music & Stage
Art & Literature
Video
Photo Gallery
Special Coverage
• Language Learning
Ask Pingping and Jules
Chinese Studio
Elementary Chinese
Pop Charts
English News
English Snippets