The victim surnamed He shows his marriage certificate to a Vietnamese bride, the bride's passport and other related receipts. [Photo: Beijing Youth Daily]
The Chinese Ministry of Public Security has warned against groups suspected of abducting and swindling Vietnamese brides, and promised to strictly crack down on illegal profiting from foreign marriage intermediaries, the Beijing News reports.
As numerous Chinese netizens participated in the nationwide shopping spree on November 11, or Double 11, foreign marriage intermediaries also found business opportunities during the buying rush. A group purchasing website offered a lottery draw where winners could travel to Vietnam for a blind date for free. It claimed to provide legal services for Chinese men looking to become grooms.
Both the Chinese and Vietnamese governments have banned any kind of foreign marriage intermediary action, including group purchases of brides, which are deemed as likely swindling cases, said Chen Shiqu, an official with the Ministry of Public Security in charge of cracking down on abduction.
A 50-year-old man surnamed He said he successfully located two Vietnamese brides through an intermediary last year, but both fled before the wedding, meaning that he had paid 70 thousand yuan towards intermediary services in vain.