China Drive, Morning, Broadcast Time: 11:00-12:00, 2009-01-06
Topic of the Day
- Movie vs Book
Many famous novels have been adapted into movies and TV series. It's a more recent trend to turn money-making movies into books. What's your favorite adapted movie, or movie-adapted book?
- Contaminated pet food kills 1,300 stray dogs across Taiwan
- Village fire destroys 92 houses in SW China
- China begins month-long crackdown on web pornography
- Movie based books
- In tennis, former world number one Ana Ivanovic kicked off her 2009 season ahead of the Australian Open with victory over Petra Kvitova at the Brisbane International.
- In European football, Arjen Robben scored a brilliant goal to help Real Madrid beat Villarreal 1-0 in the Spanish league on Sunday.
- Bulgaria's figure skating champion Maxim Staviski will be jailed for two and a half years after a local court overruled an initial verdict and issued a suspended sentence.
- China has banned almost 4,000 Party and government officials from joining more than 550 overseas trips on public expenses in the six months to the end of November, according to a top discipline official.
- Chinese shares rose on the first day of trading of the new year, raising people's expectations about the country's economy.
- A new way of getting into space seems possible, and at less cost than by traditional rocket powered spaceflight. A giant space elevator has been proposed, meaning that satellites and even people could be lifted into space along a giant cable, tethered to the earth. And a prototype has been created to test the theory.
- [Special Report] Beijing expands as grand shopping malls introduced to suburban districts.
Official Property Declaration System
On December 31, 2008, the local government of Xinjiang's Altay region publicized the property declaration form of 55 newly appointed county-level officials through one of its local websites. The information could be read by the public freely. A secret property declaration was also implemented. The latest reform evoked heated discussion.
- Vivian Show and Joe Nieh Married: Priest
Controversial Hong Kong celebrity couple Vivian Chow and Joe Nieh have married after a series of dramatic twists on Monday, thus ending their 19 years of courtship. This information was released by their priest.
- Patricia Arquette files for divorce from Thomas Jane
'Medium' star, Patricia Arquette, has filed for divorce from her husband, actor Thomas Jane, citing "irreconcilable differences," according to court records made public on Monday.
- Travolta son's death caused by "seizure disorder"
The cause of actor John Travolta's son, Jett's death has been revealed. A Bahamas funeral home official said an autopsy on the body shows that the teenager was killed by a seizure.